A lean body is always desirable. It not only looks great but also provides many health benefits. A lean body weight means you have a low body fat percentage, and this usually translates to paybacks such as good blood chemistry numbers, lower risk of hypertension and heart disease, plus good blood sugar levels. A lean body mass also means you have more muscle definition. Muscles, no matter how developed, are often hidden or obscured by body fat. For example, no amount of stomach exercises will reveal a six pack unless you get rid of the body fat in your belly to uncover developed abdominal muscles. A lean body also translates to more clothing possibilities, since you are not limited to any particular cuts or styles of apparel. Finally, summer is just around the corner, so this would be a good time to start chipping away those unwanted pounds with a lean body workout. You’re going to want to look fabulous in that swimsuit!
Here are some workout tips that can help you attain the ideal lean body you always wanted.
Tip 1 – If your goal is to shed weight and build or hold on to lean muscle mass, intensity is a key factor. Intensity, rather than duration in your exercises will matter more. Decrease the amount of time you spend working out and crank up the effort level. Push yourself. Also try to shorten your aerobic and resistance training sessions to see quick and specific results.
Tip 2 – Boost up your metabolism by performing compound exercises. These are movements that solicit and involve multiple muscle groups at the same time. Think military style drills. Burn your fat and transform your body into a hard shell. All you need to do is to focus on exercises that include multiple muscle groups and use heavy weights whenever possible. These are exercises like jumping jacks, dive bomber push-ups, squat leaps, and arm haulers. A stoked metabolism means you are burning fat even while at rest. This will make you lean, and also keep you lean.
Tip 3 – Do short intense cardio sessions preferably in the morning on an empty stomach. Perform this so your body taps into stored fat for fuel, bringing you closer to that ideal lean body. Try also mixing up variety into your cardio. Apart from running, do other aerobic exercises like biking, rowing, shadow boxing to keep your body always guessing what you will subject it next. Variety translates to results in both muscle building and fat burning.
Tip 4 – Start gradually and don’t be hard on yourself. Rome was not built in a day. Try to also eliminate any stressors that may be causing you anxiety. Stress makes you produce cortisol, and that substance makes you hang on to fat. Elevated cortisol may do this since it is believed to have the tendency to increase your appetite if it stays prolonged in your system. Try to maintain a good attitude and positive outlook.
Tip 5 – Keep surprising your body. Human physiology is extremely smart. It adopts remarkably well, and is able to perform physical challenges better as you repeat them over and over. These results in less effort needed to do the same exercise the next time you perform it. Change your routine to shock the body into adopting all over again. This way you keep burning an elevated level of calories for optimal fat burning. Change both your weight and cardio routine every 3 to 4 weeks to keep things fresh.
Tip 6 – Eat clean. One thing common to people with six pack abs is how they eat. They are amazingly clean with their diets and follow a strict, disciplined eating regimen. Don’t be foolish wasting precious time at the gym, only to sabotage it at the dining table later on. Here are 5 key points to live by when it comes to eating healthy:
• Eat every 2-3 hours- this is equal to around 6 meals per day. An approximated calorie breakdown of 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats would be an ideal maintenance nutritional balance.
• Drink plenty of water. Drink even more when you are exercising to prevent dehydration. Water hydrates and helps flush out toxins in your system.
• Eat unprocessed whole natural foods such as lean proteins, fruits vegetables, healthy fats and complex carbohydrates. Also avoid the feeling being full. That probably means you overate.
• Avoid sugary substances or enriched carbohydrates except for post-workout purposes when you are glycogen depleted.
• Nix or avoid alcoholic drinks
Tip 7 – Calculate lean body mass by following this formula to keep tabs of your progress and consistency. Knowing your progress or regression always helps so you can adjust your efforts. Here’s how to get the figure.
• Get your weight in pounds.
• Get your waist measurement at the navel and record it below your weight in pounds.
• Input the measurements into the formula below:
[(4.15 x waist measurement) — (0.082 x weight) — 76.76] / weight
[(4.15 x waist measurement) — (0.082 x weight) — 98.42] / weight
• The result is your percentage of body fat.
• Take the result from above and multiply it by your weight. This will yield your body fat in pounds.
• Subtract your body fat in pounds from your total weight to get your lean body mass.
With these tips and tools, you should be well on your way to a fit lean physique. Get your beach body rocking now in time for a glorious summer.